Yesterday (12th Dec 09) I went to go and see Sam in Aladdin at the Theatre Royal in Windsor with my family. This was my fourth time meeting Sam and I had a very weird feeling in my stomach all day. I kept feeling ill and didn't eat anything til after the show. When we got there we went straight to find the stage door so we could run round to it in the dark after the show.
We decided to go and have a look inside the theatre and I found there were lots of flashing things to buy! I made my dad buy me a green flashing snowman, a big foam hand (like the ones from gladiators) and a programme.
After having a little walk to the shops near by it was time to go in!! As we sat waiting in our seats we sang along to christmas songs which was amusing. Then suddenly the lights went down and the curtain lifted!!
The first thing I noticed on stage was the group of girls all had wigs on that reminded me of Sam's Sally Bowles haircut, that amused me for the first few seconds and then I suddenly realised someone was singing. I looked to the right of the stage and there she was, Sam in her Aladdin costume singing 'Good Morning Oh Peking' (yes, taken from Hairspray and adapted). After an amazing first song, she introduced herself 'Hi, I'm Aladdin (slaps thigh) and this is my brother Wishee Washee (Steven Blakeley from Heartbeat).
As the show went on there were a few links to past things, such as in her second song she sang the words 'I'd do anything' and 'life is a Cabaret (sound familiar?).
It was hard throughout the show to think of her as a boy, no wonder all the little kids there were confused. Anyway, she did an amazing job at pulling it off, and anyone that said in Cabaret reviews that she can't dance, go and see Aladdin!!! She'll prove you all wrong then!!
During singing 'A Whole New World' I'm pretty sure she saw me as I was singing along and waving my flashing green snowman in the air along with my foam hand. She then looked straight at me three times during the next 10 seconds or so.
Then the magic carpet bit came!! At first they just had a normal rug on the stage, then the lights went down and she was the only one left on stage, then a 'floating' magic carpet came from the left and she jumped on it with a huge grin on her face. I knew what was coming and had said as soon as I knew she was doing Aladdin this would happen. The music began and she started singing 'So if you care to find me, look to the western sky......' yes, no points for guessing, she sang Defying Gravity!! By this time I was waving my flashing snowman (appropriately green) in the air as high as I could and singing my loudest! She kept looking my way during this song too which highly amused me haha.
The rest of the show was very amusing but extremely good! I just want to go into detail about what happened at the end as this was the most exciting bit for me (apart from the defying gravity bit).
They all came down the stairs at the back of the stage for the 'wedding of Aladdin and Jasmine scene' so when Sam and Poppy Jhakra (Princess Jasmine) came down the stairs me and my mum jumped up to give her a standing ovation! I still had my flashing snowman on and she gave
me a huge smile and then nodded at me. They then had to sing and dance and at the end they ended up being picked up. She looked straight at me and gave the biggest smile ever just before the curtain came down.
They then did the classic kids going up on stage, getting prizes bit with Toby Hull and Emu. We all had to sing Old Macdonald Had A Farm. Then the curtain went back up again as it was the end.
They all came back on and the crowd went wild. I was doing my wooing (well as well as I could as my voice had nearly gone by this point). They sang 'We're All In This Together' from High School Musical and Sam kept looking at me and smiling, and almost winking at me. This amused me and I was in hysterics. She then had to sing another song and she just about did it without laughing. Then all the cast waved to the audience and she waved at me so I waved back which made her laugh again.
I then had to get up, grab the bags of presents for her and run to the stage door. When I got there she was standing there with the door open waiting for me. I had a lovely catch up with her and gave her the presents. She signed twelve pictures I had printed off as well as the programme and flyers and she even went to go and get her little dog, Lily, to show me. I really appreciated the fact that she had given up some of her very short break between shows to see me and chat. It was awesome!!
Well done on another amazing role Sam and remember you are a star and I'll always be here supporting you through everything!!
- Name: Samantha Jane Barks
- Age: 22
- D.O.B: 02 October 1990
- Place of birth: Isle of Man (which was renamed the Isle of Sam for one day to support Sam during her time in BBC1 show 'I'd Do Anything' in 2008)
- Originally from: Laxey, Isle of Man
- Eye Colour: Brown
- Hair Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Length: Long
- Height: 5ft 5 3/4 "
- Horoscope: Libra
- Siblings: 1 Older Sister and 1 Older Brother
- Niece(s)/Nephew(s): Chloe (aged 1)
- Pets: A family King Charles Cavalier Spaniel called Halle (although she calls her Linda) and her own Chihuahua called Lily
- Hobbies: Singing, Dancing, Shining on Stage, Sleeping, Playing with Lily (her chihuahua), Eating (especially red velvet cake and chocolate), Partying with friends, Shopping, Watching TV
- Huge fan of: Ricky Gervais
- Scared of: Mittens
- Hates: Vegetables, Early Mornings
- Occupation: Professional Actress/Singer
- Years Active: 2008-present
- Training: Arts Education School in Chiswick before entering Andrew Lloyd Webber's BBC competition 'I'd Do Anything' in 2008 looking for an unknown talent to play Nancy in a new West End production of Oliver!
- Current Job(s):
- Past Jobs: Numerous amateur productions with the Manx Operatic Society and performances with her band on the Isle of Man (full details in the 'Sam's Career So Far section), Sally Bowles (Cabaret UK Tour 2008-9), Aladdin (Panto in Windsor 2009-10), Eponine in Les Miserables at the Queen's Theatre in London's West End (2010-11), Eponine in the Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert at the O2 Arena on 3rd October 2010, Zoe in 'Groove High' (Disney - due to air spring 2012). Nancy in Oliver! UK Tour (2011 - April 2012), Eponine in Les Miserables 2012 Film
- Dream in life: To be starring as a leading lady in a West End show (ACHIEVED)
- Dream Role: Elphaba (Wicked)
- Role Models: Catherine Zeta Jones, Idina Menzel
- Musical: Wicked
- Song: Defying Gravity (from Wicked)
- Singer: Regina Spektor
- Book/Magazine: The Stage
- Place to be: On stage, at home or Disneyland Florida
- Films: Zoolander, Happy Feet, Sex and The City
- TV Programmes: The Office, Extras, Friends, Sex and The City
- Animal: Penguin
- Item of Clothing: Shoes
- Colour: Red
- Food: Chocolate, Red Velvet Cake, Vegetable Lasagne, Cheese and Onion Tayto Crisps
- Chocolate Bar: Lion Bar, Daim Bar
Sam as Sally Bowles in Cabaret
Sam played the leading role of Sally Bowles in the UK touring version of Cabaret from 29th August 08 - 11th July 09.
I thought I would leave the dates of the tour on here out of interest and for future reference.
29 August 2008 to 13 September 2008 Birmingham Repertory Theatre - The Door, Birmingham
15 September 2008 to 20 September 2008 Hippodrome, Bristol
22 September 2008 to 27 September 2008 Liverpool Empire Theatre, Liverpool
29 September 2008 to 04 October 2008 Theatre Royal, Nottingham
06 October 2008 to 11 October 2008 Palace Theatre, Manchester
13 October 2008 to 18 October 2008 New Victoria Theatre, Woking
20 October 2008 to 25 October 2008 Everyman Theatre - The Other Space, Studio, Cheltenham
27 October 2008 to 01 November 2008 Theatre Royal - Ustinov Studio,The Egg, Bath
03 November 2008 to 15 November 2008 Grand Theatre and Opera House, Leeds
17 November 2008 to 22 November 2008 Hall for Cornwall, Truro
24 November 2008 to 29 November 2008 Royal and Derngate, Northampton
02 December 2008 to 06 December 2008 Congress Theatre, Eastbourne
08 December 2008 to 13 December 2008 Malvern Theatres - The Cinema, Forum Theatre, Festival Theatre, Malvern
12 January 2009 to 17 January 2009 Theatre Royal, Brighton
19 January 2009 to 24 January 2009 Sheffield Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield
26 January 2009 to 31 January 2009 Sunderland Empire Theatre, Sunderland
02 February 2009 to 07 February 2009 Theatre Royal, Plymouth
09 February 2009 to 14 February 2009 Mayflower Theatre – Southampton
16 February to 21 February Darlington Civic Theatre, Darlington
23 February 2009 to 28 February 2009 Hull New Theatre - Hull City Hall, Hull
02 March 2009 to 14 March 2009 The Villa Marina and Gaiety Theatre - Douglas, Isle of Man
16 March 2009 to 21 March 2009 His Majesty’s Theatre, Aberdeen
23 March 2009 to 28 March 2009 Playhouse Theatre, Edinburgh
30 March 2009 to 04 April 2009 Theatre Royal, Glasgow
13 April 2009 to 18 April 2009 Milton Keynes Theatre, Milton Keynes
20 April 2009 to 25 April 2009 The Churchill, Bromley
27 April 2009 to 02 May 2009 New Theatre, Cardiff
04 May 2009 to 09 May 2009 Richmond Theatre, Surrey
18 May to 23 May 2009 Grand Theatre, Blackpool
25 May to 30 May 2009 Grand Opera House, Belfast
01 June to 06 June 2009 Grand Theatre, Wolverhampton
08 Jun to 13 Jun 2009 The Hexagon, Reading
15 Jun to 20 Jun 2009 Barnstaple Queens Theatre
22 Jun to 27 Jun 2009 Salford Lowry Theatre
29 Jun to 04 Jul 2009 Theatre Royal, Windsor
06 Jul to 11 Jul 2009 Newcastle Theatre Royal
I thought I would leave the dates of the tour on here out of interest and for future reference.